Puteri Hannah Amran
Kolej Yayasan Saad class of 2019, Kolej Yayasan UEM class of 2022, received offers from Wharton University, University of Pennsylvania, University of California, Berkeley and University of California, Los Angeles.
Muiz Zafri Mustamir
Saiful Azhar Razin
- US universities are more liberal on the subjects you take meaning you have the opportunity to explore more options. For instance, you could take economics while pursuing your passion in music as a minor.
- The speakers explain concisely the step-by-step process for the applications. Dates,platforms (common application, coalition application, University of California application, etc) and others.
- US universities look at your academic and extracurricular transcripts from as early as Form 3 or 9th grade equivalent in the States.
- Applications also consist of personal statements, essays and supplemental essays.
- SAT’s are optional but encouraged to achieve a higher chance of getting accepted and shows initiative and commitment to your educational journey.
- US universities take a very holistic approach, your grades, essays, extracurriculars, teacher recommendations, etc, play a vital role.
- US universities have less strict conditional offers. They have a thorough background check and give focus on continuous improvement.
- You will have to write a personal statement and then every university will have their own unique supplemental essays. They can be very academic to very personal. For example, “tell us a time where you had to be sensitive”.
- Take the essay opportunity to convince the universities that you are the student that they are looking for and that this university is the best fit for you.
- You can apply to as many universities as you want but it is also according to your own initiative of writing dozens of essays. There is also a fee to be paid, but you can reach out to your college or high school for financial aid.
- It is important to have friends you trust to check your essays and to have a good relationship with teachers and counsellors to help you in the recommendations and processes.
- The speakers explained how Kolej Yayasan UEM aided them during their process with the University Relations Department. They were provided assistance in essay writing, applications and organisation. Basically providing a smooth flow of information amongst the students, college and university.
- US universities give more freedom for the students to explore their passions and have their own unique experiences compared to other universities.
- It is important to find your passion, especially for writing your essays. One tip is to explore as many activities that peak your interest, that will lead you to your passion.
- It is never too late to improve yourself. You have time to improve yourself during college if your high school qualifications are subpar.
- The course structure consists of research, language, science and humanities requirement for the first year including discussions that are graded as well as attendance.